In 2015 “Farmer” Melvin Parson founded We the People Grower’s Association (WTPGA). His vision was to create a sustainable farming system which could support a workforce of formerly incarcerated men and women.
Out of this was born We The People Opportunity Center (WTPOC), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which was started in December of 2018.
We have recently changed our name to We The People Opportunity Farm (WTPOF), and feel this name more accurately reflects where the core of our work takes place. Although our name has changed, our mission remains the same.
What We Offer
- A nine (9) month paid internship program for men and women returning home from incarceration. After completion, we look to guide our interns towards continued education and employment in the food, nutrition and health services industries.
Community Partners Include:
- Washtenaw County Sheriffs Office Street Outreach program
- United Way of Washtenaw County
- Habitat for Humanity of Huron Valley
- Changing the soil in the lives of those we come into contact with
- Using organic methods to grow our vegetables
- Volunteer opportunities